Connect with us

Breaking News

US, Nigerian Forces Kill Over 20 ISWAP Fighters In Borno Airstrikes

Published

on

The Defence Headquarters has said more than 20 Islamic State fighters were killed during fresh coordinated airstrikes carried out by Nigerian forces and the United States Africa Command in northeastern Nigeria.

The operation came days after the reported killing of senior ISIS commander, Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, who was eliminated alongside some of his fighters in an earlier joint military operation.

AFRICOM, in a statement on Monday, said the latest strikes were carried out in collaboration with the Nigerian government and that no United States or Nigerian personnel were harmed during the operation. Reuters also reported that the strikes targeted Islamic State militants in northeastern Nigeria.

The Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, said the operation targeted terrorist hideouts in the Metele area of northern Borno State, a location long associated with insurgent activity.

According to him, the strikes were based on credible intelligence indicating the movement and convergence of terrorist elements in the area.

Advertisement

He said the operation formed part of sustained counterterrorism efforts in the North-East, aimed at dismantling insurgent networks and denying them safe havens.

“The ongoing operations follow the neutralisation of ISIS commander Abu-Bilal al-Minuki and are part of sustained efforts to disrupt terrorist networks, remove them from the battlefield and deny the terrorists any safe haven within Nigeria,” the statement read.

The Defence Headquarters said the Armed Forces would continue to intensify operations against terrorist groups threatening communities and national stability.

It also reaffirmed its commitment to defending Nigeria’s sovereignty and territorial integrity.

“The Armed Forces of Nigeria will continue to aggressively defend the sovereignty, security and territorial integrity of the nation. Terrorists who threaten our citizens, communities and national stability will be located and defeated. There will be no safe haven for terrorists anywhere in Nigeria,” the statement added.

Advertisement

The fresh strikes followed the killing of Abu-Bilal al-Minuki in a joint operation by Nigerian and United States forces.

AFRICOM had earlier confirmed that its operation, carried out in coordination with the Armed Forces of Nigeria, led to the killing of the ISIS figure.

President Bola Tinubu and his United States counterpart, Donald Trump, had also announced the joint operation that led to the death of the senior ISIS commander, according to reports. Al Jazeera reported that the United States and Nigeria confirmed the killing of the ISIS commander in a joint operation in the Lake Chad region.

The Wall Street Journal also reported that about 20 Islamic State fighters were killed near Metele during the latest operation, citing United States and Nigerian officials.

Advertisement
Advertisement